My husband found this recipe when we were on Weight Watchers. I love it because it’s not only healthy and lower in fat, it’s quick to make, and down-right delicious. Who could ask for anything more…right? When we go to the beach we often eat a few meals in, and this one is always on the menu. It’s has an elegance to it, but SO simple to make. Shhhh! We really don’t have to let everyone know how easy this one comes together. Add a tossed salad, and some garlic bread; and you have a complete meal ready in 30 minutes or less. No kale on hand, no problem, try spinach. And hey, the kids get their greens too.
Recipe Source: adapted from www.Weight Watchers.com
Rigatoni with Sausage and Kale
- 2 cups uncooked rigatoni or pasta of choice (I used Rotoni)
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste, for cooking pasta
- 8 oz uncooked turkey sausage or chicken sausage, sweet Italian variety
- 2 cup(s) uncooked kale, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces, or 2cups spinach
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Cook rigatoni in salted water according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, slice sausage into bite size pieces, cook about 5 minutes, until sausage begins to brown. Add kale; cook, stirring frequently, until limp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth to skillet and scrape up browned bits on bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon; season with salt and pepper. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low; cook until kale is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in rigatoni; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.