I’ve always been in search of a good turkey burger. Tried many variations and recipes, but have never hit on one that said, Wow!,…until now. My husband was never a fan of turkey burgers. He never liked the dry, white patty that I always tried to pass off as part of our healthy lifestyle. Well, now he has a different opinion on turkey burgers, because these babies rock.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup minced green onion, minced
- 1 or 2 Serrano chiles, to taste, minced
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Ketchup (optional)
- Garnishes: onion, lettuce, avocado, tomato
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey with the red onion, green onion, chilies, egg whites, seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Mix all ingredients together. Shape into eight burgers.
- Place the burgers in the skillet and cook (about 4 to 5 minutes per side) over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Top with Cheddar cheese, cover with lid just until melted.
- Serve the burgers on lightly toasted buns, and top with garnishes.
- Garnish with mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup if you desire.
Recipe Source: adapted from www.emerils.com