Today was the ice storm of the century. Call me crazy, but all that ice got me in the mood for a frozen smoothie. Maybe I’m subconsciously thinking spring because this smoothie contains all the flavors of a classic carrot cake: fresh carrots, Greek yogurt, yummy pineapple, and of course some carrot cake spices. There’s no need to feel guilty though, because it’s your favorite dessert in the form of a smoothie, and that makes everything okay in my world. By adding a few extras like flax seed and almond butter, you have an even more nutritious treat. But listen to this: my cheesepuff lovin’, junk-food crazy son gave it the stamp of approval! Carrot Cake Smoothie…SCORE!!
Carrot Cake Smoothie
Enjoy the taste of a classic Carrot Cake in a healthy Smoothie. It's made with lots of fresh potassium-rich carrots, protein-rich Greek yogurt, yummy pineapple and of course, some carrot cake spices.
- 1 medium banana peeled, diced and frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots about 1 medium-sized carrots, peeled
- 1 cup milk, non-fat, (I used almond milk) Milk of your choice (coconut milk works well too
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced pineapple frozen
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (optional) or all-natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or your desired sweetener (or omit for an even healthier version)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 Tablespoon flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoob pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Garnish with chopped walnuts, pecans, grated carrots or coconut (Optional)
Add all ingredients, except the toppings, to a blender. Blend for about 60 seconds until smooth and creamy. I
Serve immediately, with optional toppings as desired.
Adapted from: The Complete Dash Diet for Beginners